Since this type of suit has already been documented pretty heavily online, I won't really go into photographic detail too much. But it is pretty fantastic.
Tuesday, December 25, 2012
I used her original design and specs to make the master, which came together in a little under an hour. A little molding and casting later, and Jackie produced the first prototype.
If you're interested in purchasing one, check out Jackie's etsy store, where she has them listed.
And no post about Jackie would be complete without a link to her work with Smosh on the Zelda Raps music video:
Tuesday, December 18, 2012
A while back, I sourced all of the model kits that are used for kit bashing on the ZF-1. There were three of them, from the Star Trek: Voyager model kit series. In total, the kits cost me over 100 bucks. I figured I would mold the kit pieces needed to build the ZF-1, not only so I wouldn't have to risk screwing up the original pieces for my build, but also to offer them to fellow builders at a fraction of the cost of purchasing all three kits.
The first side of a couple of two part molds that I poured up the other day when my friend Ewan came over. I had those little pieces clayed up for some time now, but just never got around to putting rubber on them. What you see below is the piece embedded in rubber, after I pulled away all the clay.
This is the one part mold, or "Dump mold" that I made for the big piece of one of the models that goes on the front of the ZF-1. The mold came out just beautifully.
Here is what casting done right looks like. This is an absolutely flawless cast. ZERO bubbles, nice flat back, all level and smooth.
This is another dump mold I made for two little pieces that go on the side of the ZF-1.
Here, I compare the original piece in grey, with some resin copies. Again, flawless. No bubbles, just beautiful castings.
Here's how I prep to pour the second half of the two part mold. I used a thin piece of styrene to make the wall around the bottom half of the mold, and hot glue gunned it to a piece of MDF. Next step is to spray it with mold release, then dump rubber on top.
That's all for now. I'm going to try to pour up the second halves of the two part molds tomorrow, which may ACTUALLY happen as I have some other stuff I need to mold too. I must confess I'm incredibly pleased with how well these pieces came out. If you need a set, please shoot me an email.
Tuesday, December 4, 2012
Here's a cool little cast and crew photo, showing everyone who helped out.
I carted in my trusty Canon T3i and over the course of one day we shot it, with me acting as Director of Photography.
Here's how it turned out:
And here's a behind the scenes featurette I cut together to be released in conjunction with the short:
I'm super happy and proud to have been a part of this production, and I'm thrilled with how it turned out.