Thursday, May 17, 2012

Nose Cone Next Pass

I'm trying a different technique this time with the nose cone imperfections. There are basically a ton of little pin holes all over the thing that survived the first couple passes, and the first coat of primer.

Previously, I was using a standard bondo squeegee to apply the putty, but I found myself doing way more sanding than I wanted to. For this attack, I used an x-acto blade, which allows me to apply it much more specifically, targeting the tiny pinholes. Right now this is curing. I think I'm pretty much done for the day, as I've managed to get two sets of clothes pretty dirty. I don't want to go for three.

I don't expect to be spending this much time and detail on the main body, and I'll tell you why. Two words: Gel Coat. This nose cone piece is actually a really typical example of why a gel coat is so important. Without it, you end up with dozens and dozens of tiny pin holes that need to be manually filled. When a gel coat IS applied, it tends to make the surface much easier to deal with, though the macro-contours must still be attended to.

No comments: