Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Dark Knight Unitard Is Just About Done

I woke up today and was on the fence about the unitard. I ordered some black milliskin a few days ago, and I was thinking maybe I should wait for that to arrive, and then just start again. Then I started thinking of the project pipeline, and the unitard is REALLY the thing I should be working on today.

I rolled out of bed with the committment to finish the unitard.

Great news: it's done!



well, almost. I still need to do the cuffs and the ankles, but other than that, it's done. It turned out really well, though not perfect. For THIS project, it is as good as it needs to be, as this will be an undersuit. It will barely be seen. So any slop or bad seams won't even show. I'm not too worried about it.

I did learn a lot though. This was the first zipper I've ever done on a stretch fabric, and it just turned out really well. Well, ONE half turned out really well. After doing the left side, I changed my technique. I used that water soluble two sided tape that I got at the fabric store. First I folded over the fabric about a quarter of an inch, with the tape inside it. This gave me a really nice, semi-rigid surface that I could then tape down to the zipper. On the right side, there were NO pins used at all to hold it in place. It was all tape. And it just turned out beautifully. From now on, this is how I will do all of my zippers on stretch fabric.



The punchline to the joke is that just as I was putting the finishing touches on the unitard, the order of black milliskin showed up at my door!! hah!



If I end up having a free day to myself, I may take another shot at doing the unitard again, this time in milliskin. I don't even know why I would bother, other than it would give me a chance to implement some of the changes to the pattern that I came up with, and also to practice my new zipper technique once more. It would also be valuable knowledge and experience that I could apply to the Superman Returns project, so it would not be a total waste. But with all of the other tasks pending on this project, I just don't think I have the time for it.

No comments: