Monday, February 22, 2010

A Common Misconception

Granted, I'm no Mythbuster, and this isn't even a myth. Maybe I could start a TV show called "Mysconceptions" or something equally as silly. But something is "up in my grill" today, and I wanted to share.

Something I hear ALL THE TIME at work, on TV, when out and about and etc is something similar to this:

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results each time".

Turns out, this is false. According to www.dictionary.com, the definition of Insanity is this:

1.the condition of being insane; a derangement of the mind.
2.Law. such unsoundness of mind as affects legal responsibility or capacity.
3.Psychiatry. (formerly) psychosis.
4.extreme folly; senselessness; foolhardiness.

Digging a little deeper in the hopes of proving myself wrong, I look up the definition of "insane", and find this:

1.not sane; not of sound mind; mentally deranged.
2.of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a person who is mentally deranged: insane actions; an insane asylum.
3.utterly senseless: an insane plan.

Note that NOWHERE in there is a process that is followed that can be used as a litmus test for sanity.

That's all I have for today, as far as musings go.

No comments: