Sunday, May 11, 2008

Brady Bunch Tiki

Remember those episodes of the Brady Bunch when they went to Hawaii? Greg got that cursed tiki, and all hell broke loose?

Well feast yer eyes on this...



I took a look at some screen grabs from those episodes, and as far as i can tell, this piece is THE same tiki that was used. I don't mean it's the precise screen used one. I mean that it looks like they used an off the shelf, very commonly made tiki. This is from the same shelf.

Great piece, but it has its problems. First up, it's the wrong color. For me to get this piece looking screen accurate, I'll need to do a certain painting technique, and it requires a white base. This is off white. Second, this is a terrible casting. The shape and details are great, but there are literally hundreds of bubbles in the resin. HUNDREDS of them. That won't fly.

I kicked around the idea of puttying each one of them, but there's way too many. So I did a quick mold of it with the intention of then using tweezers to pluck out all of the balls. Cuz you know, the inverse of bubbles is balls. So far, I've cleaned up the mold pretty good, but have not yet taken a pull out of it. And don't worry, I'm not going to knock these out. I only molded it for my own purposes. This could very well kick off a debate about that grey area of this hobby I participate in, but I'm not too worried. I know the dude who makes these pretty well, and I'm guessing he's confident in the claim that I'm not going to start offering Tikis :)

Anyhow, I'll have another update on this shortly.

No comments: